Thursday 28 May 2015

15: Developing a Readable Manuscript for Your Own Use


Newsletter 15:Thursday 28th May 2015The Writing Process: Developing a Readable Manuscript for your own Use
 

Hello again.

 

I recently wrote on my blog about the need for a writer to retreat to a different place to refresh and develop her writing and her writing strategies. I am wondering whether it can happen in a day. I am looking forward to Rachel Cochrane’s Day Retreat at our beautiful AucklandCastle. What I like about it is that it is just a day to write
– not necessarily to workshop, share, network or any of the other things writers are pressed to do these days.

I was thinking that the key to making the most of such a day is preparation. This could be writing a note what you want to achieve from the day. The notes might simply say.
-          Fifteen hundred words on the current novel or novella!
-          Or Draft the short story about the woman who began painting at the age of sixty.
-          Or Draft prose to fill the gaps in my existing narrative.
-          Or it might just be Write poetry or prose inspired by the castle setting...

In my case I intend to produce for the day a perfect manuscript copy of the work up to date on my next big project – novel set in the days following World War 2.

I have about 20,000 words – some still in draft, some transcribed and edited and amended. I keep this in a plastic box alongside crucial resources to drive on the story: maps, books, research notes. A particular treasure in the box is a book of poems written by the man who inspired me to embark on this story.

So today and tomorrow I will assemble my writing so far into a single coherent document that meets all the criteria for a manuscript that you could submit to an editor or an agent or one of your first readers- so important these days. You can do this at any stage of the writing after – in my view – about 20.000 words. This might be a quarter of a novel. It might be half a novella. It might be five short stories towards a collection

Doing this refining exercise on your own first pages makes you simultaneously think of your work in detail and as a whole. It allows you to begin to see your novel though the eyes of an outsider – crucial part of the creative process.

So, as part of my preparation I thought I would put down here some thoughts on creating your manuscript to a presentable level.
In the history of publication, we may find examples of scrappy, ill-typed manuscripts on flimsy, tired paper wrapped in tatty packages, which ended up being published and lauded as great works.  Daphne du Maurier was said to send her editor scrawled, untidy half-legible manuscripts. Thomas Wolfe, too, needed his agent Max Perkins to sort out the jumbled pages of his great American novels. (Wolfe wrote standing up, leaning on the top of his fridge. But that’s another story.)  
But they were different days, of patient editors and forbearing agents and leisurely publishing.

In these more urgent times
, a new writer – with more technological resources - needs to optimise her or his chance of being read carefully by presenting an immaculate, business-like manuscript. To do this, the writer needs to ensure that there is no barrier of poor presentation to blind the sight of the hard-pressed publisher’s or agent’s reader.

And nowadays this applies now to creating your own high level working manuscript before putting it through an independent publishing process. You can include some of the features which will make it easier to upload to one of the publishing platforms.   

If you develop your manuscript to meet the following basic points regarding your interim manuscript will set the pattern for a good clear manuscript that eventually will appear professional to an agent or editor. It will also provide the foundation manuscript for you to upload if you take the road to independent publication.
-        
Basics
-          Use good-quality white paper. It’s more likely to survive being passed from hand to hand. Or for your own use on-page edits and notes.
-          Select a simple, clear typeface in black – no fancy work. Calibri or Arial are good. I like Garamond for my independently published novels. I read recently that Time New Roman looks old fashioned and could lead to your manuscript being labelled as such.
-          Use 12 pt. character size and 1.5 or 2.00 line spacing and only ever use one side of the paper.
-          Consistent numbering – top right hand is my favourite closely followed by bottom centre.
-          Collate together in loose pages and put them in a single card folder to work on. (Numbering is crucial here. You could get the pages out of order.)

Layout
-          Clear margins all round – widest on the right, for your own and others’ comments.
-          Set your ruler to ten inches which will fit in to up loading criteria e.g. for Createspace
-          New chapter means new page,
-          Begin new chapters six spaces down
-          You can number and/or title each now chapter.
-          In continuous text. indent the line  to indicate new paragraphs
-          No extra line-spaces between paragraphs. unless you want to indicate a change of time or place in the narrative,
-           
-           

 So today and tomorrow I have briefed myself to assemble my
drafted and transcribed sheet into this more refined form so that on Sunday, at Rachel’s Castle Retreat. When I am there who knows?

  -          I can get my notebook and draft a new 1500 words
-          I can make notes about gaps in the existing narrative
-          I can think about this novel as a whole thing and make notes about further structure.

 
In that free creative atmosphere in the castle I will go where the fancy takes me. It's all down to the preparation....

Happy Writing, Happy Reading
Best, Wendy



No comments:

Post a Comment