Thursday 5 March 2015

3. Where do we find those seeds of inspiration? Those notions? Those themes?



Wendy’s Newsletter No. 3 Thursday March 5 2015A  

Hello again. Thank you for returning to my Newsletter.If this is your first time, welcome.


The unwilled creation and destruction of original ideas and creativity./The over-self-conscious writer/Writers’ Superstitions.

So! How we you begin? Where do we find those seeds of inspiration? Those notions? Those themes? Those preoccupations which will end up as a ten page story or a four hundred page novel.

Where are they? They are there inside us welded together, layered in our memory, our experience, our study, our genes and our souls ready to surface – often without us realising it - in the voice of a character, a description of a  place, or the violent  turn of an incident.

It is not always obvious. I was thinking that this truth emerges very clearly in the field of literary biography, where, years later.  the biographers link ‘the Works’ to the subconscious and conscious lives of their subjects. They often know more about their subjects’ pre-occupation than the writer’s knew themselves.

Think of the elliptical Daphne du Maurier as seen by the brilliant Margaret Forster. Consider the bold and insividual Kathleen Mansfield brought to life by the insightful Kathleen Jones.

We might think that poking into the soul of a writer might seem a bit invasive but I suppose that is the penalty of literary fame which makes all of us curious about the writer’s themes, icons and inspirations.

Those of us less eminent have no such worries but I have come to realised that anyone who has read half a dozen of my own novels will suss out a list of my inspirations an icons perhaps better than I can.

I have now realised that only on reflection,  because for me the primacy of the story holds the centre of my fiction

I now realise that my list would include: the autonomy of women, the unequal dynamics of the British class system, twentieth century history, and the possibility of personal transformation through education, writing and painting.

(And then there is France, always France. Deep down somewhere I always feel I lived in France in quite another time.)

I spent years writing the novels, always loving my stories and my characters as they danced across my page off into the bookshops and the libraries, I rarely thought about what was happening at a deep level. I just wrote on as my stories and characters  charged my head and powered my hand. Reviewers would sometimes spot the recurring themes but I thought that was their business.

The time I began to discover just what had been happening at that deep level was when I set about re-reading my novels to prepare for the writing write my rather unconventional literary memoir The Romancer. See it  HERE

I had always considered my stories to be very different from each other.
 I prided myself on that notion!. But, as I wrote this memoir. I discovered these  recurring preoccupations, themes and icons buried in my work They had indeed been there inside me all mixed up, layered in in memory, and grounded in my  experiences, in my studies, my genes and my soul.
I realised that all I’d had to do was to write these novels and short stories to allow the themes and preoccupations to find breath on the surface of my life.
This is clearly an unconscious or a subconscious process. If I had thought deeply about these things as I wrote I probably would never had reach page five in any story. (See my point below* about over-self-conscious writing encouraged by courses in ‘creative writing)

We come to a question:  Is writing therapeutic?
There are courses and sources on this. I choose to think differently. I do think that a lifetime of writing can have a therapeutic bi-product. It can also raise nightmares that can be very difficult for an individual to process on his or her own. But I suppose even such nightmares can be processed in the unselfconscious writing process. Perhaps that’s where the cult of misery memoirs may come from.

* A Personal Note on the Danger of over- Self-conscious Writing.
Having more than once sifted and judged major national fiction competitions I have noted a troubling tendency for writers – in their requested rationale enclosed with their entries – to go on at length about their motivation, their themes, their genre and their market, even while their fragile novels are unfinished or in process.
I can just hear earnest, well intentioned tutors hammering these points out with anxious writing students on these proliferating Creative Writing Degrees as though it were a critical analysis of the Tempest
For me this is like taking and axe to a block of wood which might just have a delicate island landscape buried within it, waiting to be written.

Writer’s Superstitions.
I have a few superstitions which keep me going as a writer. I (nearly always) write in ink-pen. I draft in perfect-bound notebooks. I play instrumental music (no voice) to create ‘white noise’ as I write. I wrap myself in a glazed tent…
I found this great article on the wonderful Brainpickings site. You might like it - see it HERE  - which outlines the extraordinarily arcane writing superstitions of some famous writers. For example ‘James Joyce wrote lying on his stomach in bed, with a large blue pencil, clad in a white coat, and composed most of Finnegans Wake with crayon pieces on cardboard…’
Do you have superstitions? Let me know and I will put them on my blog HERE: LIFETWICETASTED

In My Next Newsletter.
That precious notebooo=k: Thoughts on the notebook and the screen


Subscribe to my weekly newsletter

Just send me your email address to wenrob73@hotmail.com and I will add you to the list.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment